Friday, January 21, 2011

HS counseling

I just finished week 2 of my high school internship, and thought I'd share some of what I've been up to. I don't know what experience you may have had with your school counselor, if any, but I often get asked "so what does a school counselor actually do?" While I may only be a counselor-in-training, let me fill you in on some of what goes on in a high school counseling office...

- I listen to teachers complain about students: their attitude, their lack of effort, their late assignments, their skipping of class... I mean I figured this happened, but I was surprised at how much it happens!

- I listen to students: complain about their teachers, complain about their parents, explain (poorly) why they skipped class or failed a test or didn't turn in an assignment. Don't get me wrong, its not all bad... some kids come by to ask for college guidance, to switch classes, or to say that they got accepted to so-and-so college! woohoo!

- I wrote a recommendation letter to a college for a girl I have never met. And it was good.

- I observed special education meetings, to determine if a student is eligible, or to write their individualized education plan

- I gave a presentation to 8th graders about what electives we offer in 9th grade (most of which I learned about myself as I was talking...)

- I talked to some students who applied to Old Dominion about what it's like there

- I leave school everyday overwhelmed at how much I don't yet know, trying to retain the thousands of facts thrown at me that day

- I have learned that high school is not nearly as scary as I thought it was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment