Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012 Review... Sort of

I've been wanting to do a "recap" of 2012, showcasing the highlights and remembering how God got us through the not-so-"highlights"... but as I sit down to do so I've had a difficult time deciding what to write. Or rather what not to write. As I look back on this past year, all I see are blessings. We became parents. We celebrated 5 years of marriage. We traveled to Wisconsin, Mexico, Pittsburgh, Lancaster and Williamsburg. We spent lots of time with family and friends, who have all poured out lots of love on Zoe. My sister moved nearby. We continue to be part of a growing body of believers through our local church, where love is put into action and the truth of the Gospel is proclaimed. We've been relatively healthy, Geoff continues to have a secure job which did not take him away from home much last year, and I've been able to stay home with Zoe. Sure, there were sleepless nights filled with incessant crying, less freedom and more demands on our time, no more sleeping in, never ending tasks that never seem to get done... but nothing we could fathom exchanging for the grins and giggles, cuddles and coos or all consuming love that took hold of our hearts the second we met our little girl.
Don't get me wrong. There are days I complain. I get impatient. I even get mad. I have a bad attitude and desire an hour of "me" time. Parenthood has certainly shone a light on my selfish desires and sinful heart. As I reflect on this past year, I'm ashamed of the audacity of sin in my life when everything I have been given demands only a grateful and humble heart. Mommyhood is such a privilege and there are times I forget that. But then a little hand grabs my arm and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. What did I do to deserve such a blessing? The answer is absolutely nothing, but God has given me this gift anyway, because He is good. And His gifts require much rejoicing on my part. I have made a list of goals for 2013 which I will eventually share, but my main goal for this year is to truly rejoice in everything, to give God the glory everyday like He deserves and to be consciously grateful for the blessings (big or small) that He bestows on me each day.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice {Philippians 4:4}
This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it {Psalm 118:24}

1 comment: