Thursday, August 26, 2010

Plans are meant to be changed?

Final Requirement: a 600 hour internship, equally split between the elementary and secondary (MS/HS) levels


I began the summer excited to be done with my graduate classes and anticipating my last semester of school in the fall, in which my only requirement was an internship. My heart and mind were set on graduating in December and finally being able to put school behind me and find a steady, dependable job for the new year. We made the move to NoVa based on this plan. I submitted all of the paperwork for my internship by June 1 as directed and anxiously awaited my placement in the Arlington school district.

To make a long story much shorter I will say that for multiple reasons, Arlington was not able to give me the placements I needed to complete the internship in one semester as planned. So instead of graduating in December, it will be May. And instead of interning full-time each week, I will spend 2-3 days/week at my site. I will be at an elementary school in the fall and a high school in the spring. The good news is that I will be able to continue watching a baby 2 afternoons per week, a job that I started in July and which helps bring in a little money. The bad news is that I am 2 semesters away from graduating and getting a real job, rather than one. The good news is that God is sovereign and has already ordered my steps for the future. So while I was disappointed at first, and frustrated too I'll admit, who am I to say that God messed up in allowing it to happen this way? He loves me more than I can fathom. He knows what I need and what is best for Geoff & I. And so I will begin this school year with a determination to be thankful for the extra time during the week, the extra semester as a student, and the Lord who in His wisdom makes much better plans for my life than I ever could.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those encouraging thoughts. I am in a season of learning to fully trust God too! It was great to catch lunch with you yesterday, let's do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer, Danielle, but it sounds like you have the right perspective. I hope you end up enjoying this year way more than you even thought was possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about that - I know how hard it can be when my plans get altered - thanks for your reminder of God's love!

    ReplyDelete